The mission of the NDSC is to provide information, advocacy and support concerning all aspects of life for individuals with Down syndrome.
The vision of the NDSC is a world with equal rights and opportunities for people with Down syndrome.
It is the purpose of the National Down Syndrome Congress to create a national climate in which all people will recognize and embrace the value and dignity of people with Down syndrome.
That purpose is enhanced by the commitment of the NDSC to:
- Promote the availability of and accessibility to a full range of opportunities and/or resources that meet individual and family needs.
- Build a sense of community and fellowship for all people concerned with Down syndrome.
- Provide leadership in the formation of public policy.
- Encourage ethically responsible research related to all aspects of Down syndrome.
- Educate professionals, parents, and community in all aspects relating to Down syndrome.
- Foster self-advocacy and acknowledge the importance of self-actualization for persons with Down syndrome.
- Recognize and advance the full range of rights of all people with Down syndrome.
- Promote full participation of people with Down syndrome in all aspects of community life.
- Recognize the variability of personal needs and respect individual choices.
- Develop and disseminate position statements on major issues related to Down syndrome.
- Provide a network for linking of state and local groups and affiliates.
- Foster and enhance relationships with the NDSC community and the broader disability community.